sometimes it's just not in the cards....or is it?
Written on 10/28/2008 10:10:00 AM by Miles
Anyone ever said the statement, "it just wasn't in the cards"? I know I have. Or, how about "this is just the hand I've been dealt"? Again, check yes for me on that one.
Of course, the "cards" being mentioned are circumstances or environments in our lives. We try to work with the ones dealt to us, or the ones that we dealt ourselves. We come to accept these cards as being a situation or circumstance that we are meant to be in.
"What am I grateful for?" This is a question I try to ask myself when I feel like I've been dealt a bad hand. Most often I come up with a few things, and ultimately end with a prayer that can, on some days, be as sarcastic as it can be serious, and that's "God, thank you for at least waking me up today," or "thank you for where you have me."
That makes me think a little bit today, which is always a good thing. :) What about that statement, "thank you for where you have me"? Is that it? Just being grateful for the cards that were dealt? What are we to do with them? Are we just happy and thankful where we are, or are we to look deeper and see what God has in the deck?
You bring up a great analogy... Especially if you look at the game of Hold 'Em. In Texas Hold'em everyone gets two cards, some better than others, but in the end depending on the three cards that are dealt on the table ANYONE has the chance to win...
Spiritually, I think that we see our hand working against us a lot, but we don't know what cards will follow our hand. And God is in control of that! To me that is a great picture of how circumstances and chance, are still controlled by the ONE who controls the deck...
In life I think I need to remember that I don't deserve ANYTHING and I am thankful that God gives me #1 Life and #2 Grace beyond that anything else is a bonus!