grace

0

Written on 10/02/2008 07:03:00 AM by Miles

I posted this quote from U2's Bono in April 2007 on my old blog, and I thought I would revisit it today. It still blows me away when I read it.


It’s a mind blowing concept that the God who created the universe might be looking for company, a real relationship with people, but the thing that keeps me on my knees is the difference between grace and karma… Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I’ve done a lot of stupid stuff… I’d be in big trouble if karma was going to finally be my judge… It doesn’t excuse my mistakes, but I’m holding out for grace. I’m holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I don’t have to depend on my own religiosity.

Grace is a radical thing. Unmerited favor. A gift that we don't deserve. I heard Louie Giglio say in a sermon that you'll know when you get grace, because when you get it, it will get you, and you won't be able to control yourself.
I think Bono has a pretty good understanding of grace, judging by the words quoted above.

Is God's grace something we can truly wrap our minds around? I have a hard time with understanding it a lot of times, but I'm completely struck by it's power at the same time.



If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

No Comment

Post a Comment