Why (I think) we need hymns
Written on 8/06/2008 09:35:00 AM by Miles
I've been thinking about listening to hymns a lot lately. A lot. There are scores of hymns that I've never even heard of, so a lot of these are so new to me and are falling on new ears, which, in turn, has allowed me to really listen to the lyrics of the songs. So often I find myself just going through the motions when hearing those old, familiar tunes. If I'm honest, I can easily remember several times when I've sang, "Amazing grace, how blah blah blah blah" in my head. It's sad, really.
It's also sad that Christian music, although arguably thriving more than ever, is becoming pretty bland lyrically. I think even Tomlin and Crowder are getting a bit comfortable in knowing what the hits are, which is making it all sound the same. I think that's pretty unfortunate.
I still think hymns are still very important and necessary in our post-modern culture, because:
The church is not a passing trend or fad, it is something solid and rooted.The church lives in the midst of history as a sign, instrument, and foretaste of
The arts, stories, poetry, music all combine to sneak into the heart by the backdoor – something increasingly important for our ministry to the coming generations.
the reign of God.
- Leslie NewbiginHow will you reach this post-modern generation – a generation that cannot
And finally, I think this quote captures what many people post-college age have experienced through a re-discovery of hymnody and the new-found freedom to express these words of passion and devotion in music that resonates with who they are in Christ. The discovery of being part of something monumentally bigger than themselves.
conceive of objective truth, cannot follow your linear arguments, cannot
tolerate anything (including evangelism) that smacks of religious intolerance?
- Kevin FordThe challenge is to provide roots
So, I think hymns are definitely needed in our culture. I'm excited about learning more and more about them, as well as doing some writing myself, using a more traditional hymn approach, possibly adding more modern expressions in refrains. We'll see how that goes.
and wings – to bring young people into a sense of connectedness with the past
that doesn’t rob them of their vision of the future.
- Gerard Kelly