bullet points
Written on 3/14/2009 09:02:00 PM by Miles
I've been doing some thinking lately. Soul searching, if you will. I think that this is primarily due to the fact that I've been more and more exposed to Calvinism lately. I think it's natural that I'm asking myself, "where do I fall theologically?" Of course, I also think that this is a question that can cause more harm and distractions than good. I'm still in the process of trying to sort some of this stuff out, but what I can tell you so far is that I am probably only down with one petal of the TULIP.
I am riddled by this as of late, and what I've concluded is that we're probably all going to be very surprised in Heaven one day on some theological standpoint, whether that's "in the sky" Heaven or "the earth redeemed" Heaven. That, of course, is a whole other blog post. :^) I hope God decides to let us have some sort of Q&A forum for the first little while of eternity, in which he can tell us how we've totally missed it.
[ht: randomshirts]
all this talk of calvinism is making my head hurt! (ha ha) but i'm glad you're searching and i know that God will show up and teach you all that He wants you to know... Peace, GP
So which petal of the TULIP are you "down" with?
If you haven't already, read Rom 9.
Praying for you MIIIIIIIILLLLLLES
Shawn
I'm pretty good on the total depravity part...I mean, I live that every day. :)
I am not down with predestination or limited atonement. (Again, I may very well be told I'm totally wrong and an idiot one day by God himself...I can handle that)
I mean, God is totally omniscient and knows the end from the beginning. He knows who will choose and who will not. John 3:16 is really clear for me. I don't read it as "for God so loved the predestined elect that He gave His one and only son..." I read "whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life." Adam and Eve were created with God's perfect will for them. However, they chose to try and be gods themselves and went against this will. I believe God's initial intention was not realized, and it was because of their choice...I think it was a choice that was theirs....just my thoughts, of course.
Here's what I want to be (I'm not too good at this, btw): I want to love God and love others above myself, not to be Armenian or Calvinist...that's just me. I think we can get too caught up in the debate and/or following leaders of the debate and forget about following Jesus himself.
....wow, that was a novel. :)
So how does one come to believe in Him or even "choose" Christ?
Here is some scripture that has helped me: John 10:22-30; Rom 8:28-30; Rom 9
Well said on your last comment. However, I think the essence of the debate is God's soveriegnty and grace, and humbly praising Him for that - not getting caught up in what guys we listen to.
By the way, I am not praying that you become a Calvinist!
After all, that for sure is your choice!