finding balance
Written on 7/02/2008 12:24:00 PM by Miles
I wanted to give a nice little plug to my new friend's website. The organization is Findingbalance, and it was founded by Constance Rhodes (you can read about her and her story on the site). Findingbalance is an award-winning site created to offer countless avenues of help and advice for those who struggle with disordered eating, or for those who know someone who does. The site informs people on EDNOS, which stands for Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified, along with many other aspects of disordered eating and body image. This is something that affects 3 out of 5 people in this country, both men and women. Enough of my rambling there....just check out the site and read her blog
Constance currently hails from Nashville, TN. She came out to my workplace to share her story, as well as offer encouragement for the staff, which is a monthly thing for us. I accompanied Andi with leading worship, and she did an amazing job. We played an original song of hers, and it was fun to sing on a song that was directly coming from the one who wrote it. There were several moments throughout all of the chapels (4 total in 2 days) during worship that were just very sweet and reverent. I think sometimes we get caught up in the performance of things beyond the required "performance" of playing/singing etc. that we can lose track of the One we worship in the first place. There were several pauses of silence, and they never felt uncomfortable.
I enjoyed listening to Constance's story (heard it four times and it never got old) and got a lot out of it for myself. Believing something other than the truth affects us all, whether it deals with eating and body image, self-esteem, our perceptions of value, etc. This life can take an amazing turn, however, once we understand and trust in who God already says we are.
We took a picture on the final day she was here, so I thought I'd share it with you all. It looks as if that tree is swallowing us...